18 January 2006

Write yourself a letter

Start your writing day: Write yourself a letter

Your writing mind-state is different from your "normal" consciousness. If you're like me, you fiddle around a lot before you settle down to write. I read discussion boards, newsgroups, my calendar... I do everything EXCEPT write. I've recently started writing myself a letter in MacJournal to get started for the day.
It's an easy way of getting into a writing mindset. I also use improvs. Many writers start their writing day by writing themselves a letter. S

ue Grafton writes a letter to her subconscious mind. John Steinbeck's East of Eden started as a series of letters to his sons, and Ralph Waldo Emerson wrote to friends when he was stuck.

Try writing yourself a letter, to see whether it works for you. Angela Booth

No comments: